Sunday, April 29, 2012

Quiambao apologizes over gay comments


MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – Former beauty queen Miriam Quiambao apologized to the the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community on Sunday after a Twitter war erupted over her comments about homosexuality.
"I'm sorry LGBT. Perhaps I was too harsh with the words I used. Will do my best to be more sensitive. #respect #nobodysperfect," she said late on Sunday in her official Twitter.
Quiambao found herself in the hot seat after she aired her opinions about the LGBT community on the Saturday episode of “The Bottomline.”
Quiambao, who was among the guest panelists on the Boy Abunda-hosted program, gave her take on the issue of religion and its relationship with LGBTs.
“I’m not a pastor, I’m definitely not an expert but the way I understand it is homosexuality is not the one that makes you a sinner. Actually, sexual immorality is what makes you a sinner,” Quiambao said.
She further elaborated this view in her Twitter account, saying it should be the sin that should be hated and not the sinner.
“Hate the sin. Love the sinner. We have all sinned... Forgiveness comes from God. Grace comes to those who believe. Peace,” she tweeted.
“Homosexuality is not a sin but it is a lie from the devil. Do not be deceived. God loves gays and wants them to know the truth,” she added.
This, however, drew a lot of negative reactions from netizens.
“Most, if not all, homosexuals know wrong from right. So don't say that we are gay because the devil dictated it to us,” said JoiJoifulness.
As for MOSHreyes, he said: “Wow I didn't think @miriamq is a homophobe! She thinks were blinded by the truth. You're the one who's blinded gurl welcome to the 21st century!”
Twitter user @dbostik also said: “@miriamq I've been trying to come into terms with my religion and now I feel like I'm back to square one since I look up to you. NEVERMIND!”
“After watching "Bottomline" I feel sorry for you @miriamq. Alamin mo muna ang at tama at totoo bago ka manghusga ng buhay ng iba,” @Homerspirit posted.
While several netizens don’t agree with what Quiambao said, there were also a number of people on Twitter who were supportive of the beauty queen.
Twitter user @terriyaKBoy said: “@miriamq is one hot topic in the gay world right now. Simmer down now, Gurlzzz! She's entitled to her own opinion/say.”
@tjbrewed, on the other hand, said “Im so happy to see @miriamq in #Bottomline last nyt. Ppl will say 'don't bring religion,' but wer not bringing any religion but Christ alone.”
As for @samuraix23, he said: “@miriamq just finished watching Bottomline about LGBT. Kudos for standing up for the Truth! May God continue to bless u!”
‘Not against LGBT’
At the end of the show, Quiambao stressed that she is not against LGBTs because everyone is equal in the eyes of God.
“God made us all for a purpose. I don’t understand why God made him that way. I feel though that in my knowledge of God, God never makes mistakes and He is not a liar. So however He made him, that’s who he really is,” she said.
“However, because God has allowed this to happen in his life, perhaps there is a purpose and at the end of the day, he will be the one to face God,” Quiambao added.
Quiambao also said she never meant to offend anyone with her tweets.
“No offense to the LGBT but the Truth is the Truth that comes from God. Take it or leave it. We will all face the judgement seat of God,” she said.
“Mahal ko ang LGBT. That's why I am sharing with you the truth. If you are not ready for it, please don't shoot me. I am just a messenger,” explained the beauty queen.

No comments: